Happy New Year!!! I hope you all had an awesome 2012 and strive to make 2013 bigger and better. Give and receive more smiles, hugs, kisses and high fives. That is my goal this year, to make a bigger difference in this world and pay it forward anytime I can. There are lots of big and scary things on my horizon and I am ready to eat some bacon and face them head on. I also plan on running some email only specials and information, so if you haven’t, sign up for my newsletter or use that orange caveman box on the right side of the page. There “might” be a surprise waiting for you after you subscribe. You will just have to click through and find out. So this morning I woke up and wanted something different to go with my breakfast. I received a plethora of lemons at the farmers market so it was time to use them. Lemon and rosemary paired with eggs and bacon, I was skeptical until my knees went weak on the first bite.
You don’t have to make the breakfast pictured here, that is just what I did. I plan on using the same fried lemons to make a scallop appetizer or maybe with some shrimp. Honestly, I am probably going to eat these fried lemons with anything I can pair them with to see what tastes the best. If you make these, and have them with another dish, please leave me a comment and share so I can try it too. If it tastes delicious, which I have the utmost faith and confidence in you that if you’re sharing it is amazing, I will share it with everyone. I know it is New Year’s day so I will keep this brief and say enjoy your 2013, I can not wait to see what we encounter together. Enjoy.
Rosemary Fried Lemons – A compliment to many meals
- 1 cup of coconut oil (or any lard of your choice, they didn’t taste as good with bacon fat)
- 1 whole lemon (I used meyer)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 slices of bacon
- In a small saute pan or sauce pan, heat your oil over medium heat. You want a small pan so it has depth and can fry the lemons
- In a small bowl, scramble your one egg and set aside
- In another small bowl, mix together your almond flour, rosemary, pepper, and salt and mix well
- Using a sharp knife, slice your lemon in thin rounds, approximately 1/8th of an inch thick
- Dunk your lemon in your egg wash and then coat both sides with your almond flour mixture and set aside
- Your oil should be heated now, you can check by dunking the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil, if it bubbles then it is ready
- Place your lemons in the oil and cook for approximately 60 seconds and then flip for 30-60 seconds and remove them from the oil (If you don’t watch them they could burn so keep an eye out)
- Let all your lemon slices cool on a paper towel after frying and serve immediately or at room temperature
- I cooked my bacon on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet in the oven at 375 degrees fahrenheit for 10 minutes, flipped the bacon and continued to cook until crispy which took 15 more minutes
- I then cooked 3 sunny side up eggs sprinkled with rosemary and pepper in a saute pan over medium heat and served them with the lemons
You can fry these without the almond flour and they are still amazing.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****