I used to love s’mores as a kid. Except for that one time I thought I burned my nose off because I bit into a marshmallow that was still on fire. I was 5 years old and I wouldn’t look into the mirror for 2 weeks because I was convinced my nose was gone. At least I can say I had a great imagination and stuck to my beliefs (I am still slightly stubborn). Good news, I still have my nose and now I have a recipe for chocolate covered marshmallows to share with you. It is from an amazing new ebook (30% off code below) on Gelatin from my friend Sylvie.
Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
When we first transitioned to paleo a few years ago with a teenager, a toddler and a baby we were just focused on what the heck to eat now that we weren’t eating grains (which we previously ate at every meal). And, you know what, that’s a great first step to transitioning from a standard american diet to a healthier real food based diet.
Once we had that down, the next step for me was to focus on nutrient dense foods and that’s when I fell in love with gelatin. After researching the heck out of it and experimenting like crazy to see just how many ways I could sneak it into our diets I wrote my bestselling ebook, The Gelatin Secret: The Surprising Superfood that Transforms your Health and Beauty (For 30% off, use code CAVEMAN).
To learn all about what gelatin can do for you and how you can incorporate it into your every day effortlessly, I highly recommend you pick up a copy by clicking here. But in the meantime, trust me, you’re gonna want to make these chocolate covered marshmallows I am sharing from the ebook.
**Limited Time Only** – 30% off The Gelatin Secret. Use code “CAVEMAN“
Health Benefits of Gelatin
Did you know that eating chocolate covered marshmallows was good for you? Me neither, but since they include gelatin they have all these benefits and many more:
- Stretch Marks
- Brittle Bones
- Weight Loss
- Tons more……….
These chocolate covered marshmallows are awesome to have on hand when you need a quick treat since they can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. I recommend hiding them at the back of the fridge if you have kids though or you’ll get none ;)
We love to take them when we go camping with friends so the kids can have a healthier alternative to the traditional marshmallows that are made with corn syrup and blue dye among other things (seriously, check the ingredients on those suckers- yikes!)
We know you have some cooking to do. Go enjoy these chocolate covered marshmallows and leave a comment with some other ideas of flavors we should try and make.
- 3 tablespoons grass fed gelatin (red)
- 1 cup of filtered water divided into ½ cups
- ½ cup honey (preferably raw)
- ½ cup maple syrup (preferably grade B organic)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Parchment paper
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper and grease with a small amount of coconut oil.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon/arrowroot powder mix on the parchment paper and spread evenly.
- Warm ½ cup of water on low heat and combine with gelatin and mix well (I use an immersion blender for this but you can use a whisk with a hefty dose of patience too).
- Pour the remaining ½ cup of water in small pot and combine with honey, maple syrup and salt.
- Heat on medium-high for approximately 10 minutes on your large burner.
- Once finished, immediately but SLOWLY combine the gelatin and honey mixture into a bowl with mixer on highest setting.
- Mix on high until color lightens and the mixture becomes light and fluffy (this may take up to 10 minutes).
- Pour mixture into prepared 8x8 baking dish and let cool in the fridge for 1 to 4 hours depending on how firm you want the marshmallows (less time = less firm).
- Combine in a small sauce pan and let cool.
- Dip firm marshmallows into chocolate, sprinkle some shredded coconut on top and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Get our Weekly Recipes
Never miss a new recipe, get them delivered to your inbox weekly.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs.****