I am so excited to be posting again as well as sharing such a delicious recipe. These flourless chocolate muffins from Slim Pickin’s Kitchen are delicious and make breakfast quick and easy. Amber even shares some of her super secret mom tips that keep her successful. Everything from paleo breakfast options that are egg free and even how to survive a Whole 30/Paleo lifestyle. Enjoy the delicious photography and eating the batter while making these flour chocolate muffins.
Flourless Chocolate Muffins
Hi, y’all! My name is Amber, and I’m the culinary creator behind, Slim Pickin’s Kitchen, a food blog focused on creative recipes seasoned with a bit of my Southern sass. I am a winner of the TODAY Show’s home chef challenge, and my recipes have been featured in a variety of media outlets including CountryLiving.com, Our State Magazine, and Buzzfeed. I am also an active member of George’s Facebook group, and I encourage y’all to join if you haven’t already.
Although the majority of my recipes are not strictly paleo, I do create cuisine that fits a variety of healthy living lifestyles including clean eating, paleo, plant-based, dairy, gluten, grain, refined sugar, and soy-free, and I myself try to follow a clean eating lifestyle as best as I can.
I am irrevocably in love with chocolate, and I believe some days are meant to start off with a fudgy bite of rich chocolate decadence. That’s where my flourless Chocolate muffins come in. These blender muffins are completely flourless, can be free of added sugars and dairy, are naturally sweetened with dates, and are stocked with healthy fats and antioxidants so you can fulfill your chocolate cravings without feeling guilty about your choice.
There are two topics I’ve seen trending in the healthy living world lately:
- What’s the easiest way to survive/maintain a paleo &/or Whole30 lifestyle?
- What are some quick and easy, grab and go breakfast options that aren’t eggs?
How to Survive a Whole 30/Paleo Lifestyle
No matter what dietary guidelines you follow the answer to this question is really quite simple: meal planning and meal prepping/batch cooking are huge yet simple steps to success. Without these straightforward strategies we’re really setting ourselves up for unnecessary hardship. That’s why George’s meal plans are so amazing! He does half the work for us. Trust me; I understand saying it and actually doing it are two different things.
I am a stay-at-home mom to a 20-month-old cyclone of energy and my husband works odd hours as a real estate agent & auctioneer so I don’t always get around to prepping my meals for the week either. The weeks when meal prepping falls to the wayside are the same weeks when I tend to hit hiccups with my health.
I try to prep, freeze, and batch cook every free chance I get so if I do hit a snag or my son has a clingy day I will have as many healthy options available for my family as I can. Using a slow cooker is a great way to save time and cook a large portion of meat at once. George’s BBQ pulled pork and my Honey Pecan Chicken are two amazing and easy recipes to make, and you can use the meat for a variety of different dishes throughout the week.
Paleo Breakfast Options (NOT Eggs!!!)
As you all know, starting your day off with a healthy breakfast is essential to keeping your body and mind in top form. Most breakfast recipes include scrambled, fried, or poached eggs, but I’m just not a fan! I know, I know. It’s blasphemous, but I’ve never really liked eggs and, from what I can tell, there are others in the world like me and there are others who are getting sick of eating eggs for breakfast.
These flourless chocolate muffins solve both the meal prepping dilemma and the grab and go breakfast recipe requests all-in-one because they are quick to whip up and the recipe makes a full dozen. Every ingredient for these flourless chocolate muffins are paleo pantry staples, and I’d bet most of you have them in your possession at this very moment.
Throw all of the ingredients into your high powered blender or food processor and give it a good zsoosh until the batter is completely smooth. Then scoop them out, sprinkle them with some chocolate chips or cacao nibs, pop them in the oven and bake. In 15 minutes you’ll have flourless chocolate muffins that are so fudgy and rich you’ll be shocked they’re made without butter, oil, or sugar.
Although these muffins aren’t Whole30 compliant, they’re still a fantastic and good for you grab and go breakfast or sweet indulgence. They are also an excellent starter recipe to serve to your family or friends who may question your dietary choices or who scoff at the thought of combining chocolate, avocado, and dates into an edible dish. Watch closely as their eyes ignite with the first bite because you may just witness their realization that eating real, healthy, and quality food may be a lot easier than they thought.
Flourless Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup whole pitted dates, packed
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 medium avocado (roughly 1 cup)
- 1 cup almond or cashew butter (I’ve only tested with homemade nut butters)
- ½ cup full-fat canned coconut milk, warm enough so it is pourable
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp Enjoy life mini chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour water into a small, microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1.5 minutes. Carefully add dates to water then set aside and let soften for 10 minutes.
- Thoroughly drain the water and discard (there is no need to squeeze or pat the dates dry) then add dates and remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips/nibs, to a high powered blender or food processor.
- Blend for 30-45 seconds, scrape down the sides, then blend for another 30 seconds-1 minute or until the batter is completely smooth.
- Using a ¼ cup cookie or muffin scoop, divide the mixture between 12 muffin cups lined with silicone or paper liners.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with a few chocolate chips/nibs then bake on the middle rack for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and store in an air tight container.