Rump roast. It’s one of those cuts of meat that makes you scratch your head. I know how you feel, and I learned a very valuable lesson early on in cooking… When in doubt on how to cook meat, use a crock pot. They fix everything! That, and you top everything with bacon. In my opinion, a crockpot is the most versatile and valuable tool in the kitchen. I believe in them so much, I spent 2 months making The Ultimate Guide to Crockpots!
Rump Roast in your Crockpot
The name rump roast just makes me laugh. When I started cooking, it actually intimidated me until I learned how to defeat the rump in the kitchen. In the UK, they call the rump roast a Silverside and I like that a lot better. So here are a couple of facts about the rump roast:
- It comes from the bottom round, the rear leg of a cow
- It’s a tough piece of meat and tastes best when roasted slowly until tender
- The three best ways to cook rump roast: A crockpot, braised, or marinated
Did you see that tweet above this? The beef and pork industry changed 350 names of cuts of meat to be more appealing and sell more. Just in case you run to the store to buy a rump roast, it will probably be labeled Leg Sirloin now. You can actually use any tough cut of beef interchangeably with this recipe and get great results.
Crockpot / Slow Cooker
Every one always asks what my favorite crockpot is. I have used at least 5 different brands of slow cookers and crockpots and have finally landed on my favorite. I now own 4 of the same one and they never fail me.
My favorite all around crockpot is the Hamilton Beach Set ‘n’ forget Slow Cooker (6 quart).
I also have favorites of every size and there’s even a Wifi model.
Lately, I have been using One tool to replace 5 different appliances in my house. Click here to see it.
What is your favorite recipe to make in a crockpot? Leave me a comment so I can try it.
Crock Pot Rump Roast
- Combine all the spices above together and mix well.
- Generously rub this spice mixture all over your rump roast to your taste liking. If you don't like too many spices just lightly coat it.
- Line the bottom of your crock pot with your diced onions.
- Place your seasoned roast on top.
- Pour in your beef stock.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
Like to prep once and cook later? Click here to get the freezer version of this recipe!
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****