This was the first recipe I ever created on my own. If you have read my story, you know I taught myself how to cook while transitioning to Paleo. This recipe for crockpot pulled pork is close to my heart and still gets made weekly in our household, 4 years later. My favorite thing about this crockpot pulled pork, ANYONE can make it. Seriously, it’s that simple.
Crockpot Pulled Pork
This next question might anger some Texans, but who needs a smoker when you have a crockpot? I know it’s quite a large claim to say this rivals some of the best bbq pulled pork around but this crockpot pulled pork recipe has been converting people one by one. My amazing friend Abel from the Fat Burning man actually credits this recipe for our friendship.
Pair this crockpot pulled pork with the accompanying Beasty BBQ Sauce and you have a crowd favorite with minimal work. We actually make this recipe using 10 pound pork shoulders from Cook Pigs, and then freeze all the pulled pork for months. We use it to make sandwiches, soups, frittata’s and loaded nachos (recipe in The Paleo Kitchen).
I truly believe that cooking should be easy and fun and that is what creates the most elegant of flavors.
Once you have this recipe for crockpot pulled pork mastered, you can venture into a few of my other pulled pork recipes. They are just as delicious and have other options for cooking. Here they are:
What is your favorite way to eat pulled pork. I personally like pairing mine with some of my favorite side dishes. Here they are:
- Mix all of the above ingredients except the pork shoulder and the BBQ sauce in a small mixing bowl, mix it all well making your spice rub
- Massage the spice rub all over the meat in every crevice you can find
- Wrap tightly in a double wrap of plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, I did mine overnight. You can refrigerate this for up to 3 days
- Unwrap the roast and place it in your crock pot, add 1/4 cup of water and turn your crock pot on low and cook for 8-10 hours until the meat is fork-tender
- Transfer your roast to a cutting board
- Pull the meat apart by tearing the meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers
- You can either put all the meat back in the juices in the crockpot, or
- Place all the shredded meat back in the crock pot and toss with Beasty BBQ Sauce and heat on low for 60 minutes until hot.
- Serve and enjoy
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****
Get our Weekly Recipes
Never miss a new recipe, get them delivered to your inbox weekly.