Yes, you read the title right. This is a Bacon Chocolate Banana Cream Pie with a Bacon Crust if you feel so inclined. You can thank the culinary genius behind Elana’s Pantry for the inspiration for this recipe. You see, that woman is nothing short of amazing with all that she does and we have become quite the Twitter BFF’s lately. Hopefully she doesn’t think that I am a creeper given my fan boy status online. You ask why she is amazing? Well she has hammered out some gorgeous cookbooks already loaded with gluten free recipes and this time she has tackled Paleo. So when I received my copy in the mail, I was excited to get through it. Before I started reading I was scrolling through her site and was too inspired with her banana cream pie recipe that I had to make that and talk about the book later. So with that, you get my version using bacon fat in the crust instead of coconut oil and my filling version with bacon, chocolate, and coconut. WINNING!
So her gorgeous new cookbook, Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry is a necessary tool in your Paleo Kitchen. It is honestly a scientific mystery to me how Elana keeps her recipes so simple yet packed with flavor. Her beautiful recipes and eloquent style will transform you into the life of any party you contribute food too. People will think you slaved for hours and you can smile knowing that Elana did all of the guess work and trials for you. The true mark of a genius is making things look easy, and she is so good she even makes them easy for you. Go grab her book now by clicking on the photo below. It starts shipping June 18th.
In case you were wondering what was on the inside of her book, you get 100 new Paleo recipes that consist of entrees, vegetable dishes, condiments and healthy desserts. All of the recipes are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and nightshade free. She also included an abundance of nut-free and egg-free recipes to cater this book to everyone. You can have a peek inside on amazon by clicking on the book photo here. If I keep gum bumping I run the risk of boring you so I will end it here. Two things I need from you, go order her book now and then go make this recipe and try not to eat it all yourself. Good luck.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated bacon fat
- 1 egg
- For the non bacon pie crust go here
- Cream from 1 (13.5 ounce) can of full fat coconut milk (340 grams), chilled overnight
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (50 grams)
- 1/2 cup bacon fat (can use coconut oil, pork fat, etc) (100 grams)
- 3 small bananas, mashed (265 grams)
- 2 tablespoons raw organic honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked crispy and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 Celsius)
- In a Food processor, combine your almond flour, bacon fat, and egg (the bacon fat has to be a solid)
- Pulse in your food processor until your dough forms a ball
- Press your dough evenly into a 9 inch pie dish
- Bake for 10-13 minutes
- Let cool and then place in the refrigerator to prepare for your filling
- In a stand mixer, or large mixing bowl place the cream from the can of coconut milk and whip until you have coconut milk whipped cream
- Combine your coconut oil, bacon fat, bananas, honey, cocoa powder, vanilla and bacon bits in a high speed blender like a blendtec or vitamix and blend
- Pour this into your coconut milk whipped cream and fold in by hand ensuring an even distribution and mixing of all ingredients
- Pour your filling into your cooled pie crust and place in the refrigerator overnight to set
- Remove from the refrigerator and garnish with extra bananas, bacon bits, or coconut milk whipped cream to your liking and serve
- Keep pie chilled and covered in the refrigerator
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****
Get our Weekly Recipes
Never miss a new recipe, get them delivered to your inbox weekly.