What an amazing and simple recipe this is. A Butternut squash stuffed with Grass-fed ground beef, bacon and onions. Then to “top” it off, caramelized onions in balsamic vinegar and it is heavenly. Hope you enjoy as much as I did, since I ate the whole squash with everything else. So let’s see, that means the Caveman ingested 2 Lbs of squash, 1 Lb of beef, and lots of onions. Yep seems perfectly normal to me, and plus who cares, It tasted good and I ate it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Cut squash in half and scrape out the seeds
- Place face down in a pyrex dish with 1/2 inch of hot water and cook for 30 minutes
- While its in the oven, cook the bacon in a pan until crispy, set aside and leave the bacon fat in the pan
- Add 2 of the sliced onions and celery to the pan and then add the beef
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and your cinnamon
- Continue stirring until the beef is finished, remove from heat and place in a bowl
- Remove the squash from the oven, when you can handle it scrape out some of the guts, leaving ~1/4 inch of squash, add squash to bowl with meat
- Crumble your bacon and add that to the bowl as well
- Mix well and then stuff your squashes with the beef mixture and place back in the 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
- While your squash are baking, add your reserved onion to your sauté pan and cook them over low heat with your balsamic to caramelize them
- Remove squash from oven, top with caramelized onions and Enjoy
Get our Weekly Recipes
Never miss a new recipe, get them delivered to your inbox weekly.